First Bytes summer camp will be held June 4-10,2017.
Applications for 2017 accepted January 27-March 22, 2017.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent on Friday, April 14, 2017.
First Bytes Summer Camp is a one-week residential camp program for high school girls. It is designed to dispel myths about computer science and intrigue young women with the potential of computing and the excitement of problem solving.
Is Computer Science for you?
- Do you like taking a large problem and thinking through how to break it up and make it solvable?
- Do you like to organize things, e.g. the soccer team dinner, the post-prom party?
- Do you like learning new ways to solve old problems?
- Do you like puzzles, math, and using logic to figure things out?
- If you’ve had a chance to take a computer science or programming class, did you enjoy it? Were you good at it?
- Are you creative?
If you answered "yes" to some of these, the First Bytes Summer Camp may be just what you're looking for this summer. No advanced math or prior programming experience is required. What is required is curiosity about the most powerful artifact the human race has ever built.
Through First Bytes You Can:
- See how computers solve real-world problems in medicine, the arts, and more.
- Use your problem-solving and reasoning skills to explore real computer science.
- Get hands-on programming experience and feel the thrill of getting a computer to do what you tell it to do.
- Visiting research labs and learning abut the newest technology.
- Work in a team.
- Find out about the wide variety of jobs you can have as a computer scientist.
- Enjoy a taste of university life and,
- Have a week of computer science fun!
Accepted applicants will be housed on campus in one of our housing complexes. Counselor to camper ratios will be maintained at 1:10.
Our sponsors will provide for ALL COSTS of the camp except travel to and from the UT Austin campus. Keep in mind parking on campus can be challenging and expensive. Parking expenses will not be covered.
Accepted participants will be required to make a $100 camp deposit to hold their spot. Please note that the deposit is for those who are accepted into the program, not for the initial application. This deposit is FULLY REFUNDABLE upon registration at the camp, please send check only, no money orders. (Waivers of the deposit fee requirement will be available if necessary.) A wait list will be developed for no-shows and cancellations.
- You must be female.
- You must be a high school student entering your junior or senior year in fall 2017.
- You must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 (80 out of 100) or higher.
- You must be a Texas resident.